Precision Ground Ball Screws
New precision ground ball screws from Dynatect are typically shipped in just 5 weeks from order placement. Even on long length/large diameter precision ball screws, Dynatect offers the most competitive lead times in the industry for custom ball screw assemblies – at the highest quality.
Dynatect has over 30 years of experience in ball screw manufacturing and design for both OEM and replacement applications. Dynatect specializes in precision ball screws, custom ball screws, large shaft diameters, and long screw lengths. Ball screw diameter and lead sizes are offered in both imperial and metric sizes and made to your specifications. Dynatect manufactures ball screw diameters from 5/8″ to 6″ and we have manufactured long-shaft screws over 50 feet.
9 Reasons to Choose Dynatect Ball Screws
- Ultimate Design Flexibility and Optimization – Dynatect offers complete options to providing the best balance of price, size, uptime, and performance for an application. In addition, Dynatect can now provide twice as many varieties
of long lead applications where lead is greater than 50% of the screw diameter.
- Best Lead Times in the Industry – New/replacement precision ground ball screws typically just 5 weeks from order placement to ship day.
- “Zero Lost Motion” Solutions – We customize your design to minimize backlash and eliminate deadband.
- Superior Wiper Technology – Dynatect’s unique wiper design results in greater wiping surface and better sealing than traditional wipers.
- Easy to work with – Ball screw assemblies can be manufactured based on drawings, a sample unit, or
the specifications you provide. Need CAD files? Our fully automated CAD system allows us to design in
real time, so we can deliver a model early in your project.
- Made to Your Specification – You are not “locked in” to a few ball screw and nut designs in a catalog. We can offer a solution that is easy to install, saving you money by minimizing the need to retrofit or adjust other components.
- Size Flexibility and Unlimited Selection – Ball screw diameter and lead sizes are offered in both imperial and metric sizes. We manufacture ball screw diameters from 5/8” to 6” and specialize in long screws (longest to date was 54 feet).
- Full Customization – Your ball screw will be configured with the options you specify, and can be further customized for a complete solution that is quick and easy to install, saving you time and money. Options:
- Ball nut style/configuration (single or double nut, 2-piece flange to flange nut, middle flange nut)
- Internal or external ball returns
- Wipers and end seals
- Custom journal ends
- Custom housing and mounting blocks
- High Quality –Ensure the highest quality for your company: Our facility is ISO 9001:2008 certified.
About Precision Ground Ball Screws
Why use a precision ball screw?
Precision ground ball screws are favored for a high degree of travel accuracy, which is expressed by lead error. Lead error refers to the measured lead minus the specified lead (deviation)
High precision is usually required for applications where the dimensional tolerances of the part being produced are critical or need to be highly repeatable. Examples of these types of applications are typically found in machining operations, including but not limited to, metal cutting and grinding.
Precision ground ball screws may not be required for simple “transport” tasks where high accuracy repeatability is not critical and additional systems are in place for controlling motion. Examples of these types of applications are typically found in material handling and automated transport lines.
Dynatect LSI can manufacturing high-precision ball screws up to ANSI Class 2 specification.
What is a ball screw?
Check out this video via Design World, sponsored by Dynatect.
Excerpt from the video:
A ball screw is a mechanical device that translates rotational motion to linear motion. The basic components of a ball screw are a nut and a screw with helical grooves, and balls. The balls roll between the nut, the screw and the grooves when either the screw or nut rotates. Balls are routed into a ball return system of the nut and travel in a continuous path from their starting point to the end, and then back to their starting point. Wipers are often used on either side of the nut to prevent debris from compromising the life of the ball screw assembly.
Ball Return Designs
End Cap Return – Single circuit with multiple turns. Best for long lead applications where lead is greater than 50% of the screw diameter. Offers reduced wear thanks to patented fingerless pickup design that eliminates the common end-cap wear point and allows for refurbishing.
Internal Button Return – Single turn with multiple circuits. Good for typical lead and diameter combinations.
Comparison of Ball Return Designs
|Key Advantage||Button (internal)||End Cap (internal)||Tube (external)|
|Double load capacity / increase life by adding multiple starts while maintaining the same package size||⊗ No||Option||Option|
|Optimal form factor of ball nut||Most Favorable||Favorable||Least favorable|
|Optimal life – balls travel in paths that are tangent to the pitch, resulting in longer life and reduced wear||Most Favorable||Favorable||Least favorable|
|Higher operating speeds – travel path increases permissible speed||Most Favorable||Favorable||Least favorable|
|Smooth operation and low noise – balls spend less time traveling unloaded||Most Favorable||Favorable||Least favorable|
|Ease of installation – components protected by design means low risk of damage during installation||Most Favorable||Favorable||Least favorable|
|Up to 25% Lower cost: Patented blind lead on screw results in fewer threads needed for loading nut on ball screw||✓ Yes||✓ Yes||⊗ No|
|Eliminate external tubes which are susceptible to damage, premature wear, speed limitations, noise and increased package size.||✓ Yes||✓ Yes||⊗ No|
New: End-Cap Return
Ball Screw Resources
Want to speak with our ball screw experts? Call us at (262) 786-1500.